Recepies for Red Jollof Rice
- ½ - 1 pound meat (chicken or beef) cut in bite sized pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp Kele (or black pepper)
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp anise
- ¼ cup vegetable oil ( I used olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ pound salt pork or ham
- 2 beef or chicken boullion cubes (I use maggi cube)
- ¼ tsp hot pepper –either fresh or ground (you can add more if you like it spicier or hotter)
- ½ tsp dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme, crushed
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 ¼ cup uncooked rice (I use Jasmine Rice)
- 2 cups vegetables (combination of green peas, string beans, carrots, peppers or tomatoes)
How you make it
- Season meat with salt, kele, ginger and anise.
- In large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add meat and brown on both sides, cooking until tender. Once done place meat in large pot and set aside.
- Add onions and salt pork or ham to oil in frying pan. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add onion and pork to the large pot. Set frying pan aside (do not discard oil).
- Add bouillon cubes, red pepper, thyme, water and tomato paste to large pot and stir well.
- Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add rice to frying pan and stir to coat with oil.
- Add rice and vegetables to the pot, stir well and cover.
- Cook over low heat for 35-40 minutes until rice and vegetables are tender.